RSVP versus OkCupid
RSVP has been around for years and is the paradigm for dating in Australia. OkCupid is another online dating site but with some important differences. Read this article to see which is the best option for you.
Which is Best?
RSVP seems to win in terms of credible members looking for quality dates and actual relationships rather than casual hook-ups and time wasters. The users we spoke to recommended it more than the alternatives.
Australian members: Over 4 million
Demographic: Middle aged users – 50% of users are aged 35 to 55
Gender split: 50% female; 50% male.
Unique features: RSVP has developed the “Discover Engine”. The Discover Engine suggests members based on historical matching data. Now if that sounds a little complicated than all you need to know is a Queensland University of Technology study has proven Discover to be more successful than standard matching algorithms.
RSVP offers tailored matches daily based on a members seeking criteria. They also use a match scoring system, showing you what percentage another members matches you by.
How much does RSVP cost?
The RSVP platform is free to join and search, but one party will need to pay to initiate contact.
Free: If you sign up for free, you can create and view full profiles, set a criteria for your matches, with new results daily and you have the ability to send and accept virtual winks, which are expressions of interest. The other party initiate a conversation with you at no cost to you.
Stamps: The RSVP currency for contact is Stamps. You can purchase between 3-24 stamps. Prices start from $5 per stamp.
Subscriptions: RSVP offers 3 levels of subscription. “Premium” allows you to see all members who have viewed your profile, highlight your profile to other members, boost you to the top of Search, Match and Discover results, added privacy options and more. “Premium+” includes all of the features of Premium with 4 contact Stamps every month. “Platinum” Will give users the same benefits as Premium with 10 contact stamps a month and includes a super wink every day, which allows other members to reply for free.
“RSVP has a level of credibility because you have to pay and there are more processes and checks in place. People are more serious about dating on RSVP, whereas other sites are more about hook-ups.” – Isabelle*.
We asked OkCupid for details about their membership demographic, but they didn’t respond.
- Angle: OkCupid claims to use a math-based matching system to help users find partners. After completing a basic profile, users can elect to fill out hundreds of optional broad-reaching questions – like if they’d date a messy person, whether they like dogs, or even how often they brush their teeth. The more questions you answer on your profile, the better the matching system becomes, the company says.
- Unique features: you can select which gender/s you’re interested in, and what kinds of connections – hook-ups, friendship, short-term and long-term dating, and non-monogamy. OkCupid had the most gender, sexuality and relationship preferences of all the sites we looked at, so it’s a good option if you don’t identify as heterosexual, cisgender or monogamous.
- Potential matches are rated based on a percentage for being a match, a friend or an enemy. Users can then flick through quick matches or browse all potential matches based on search criteria including gender, age and distance.
How much does OkCupid cost?
OkCupid has free and paid A-list memberships. According to the company, the site is designed so that a free account doesn’t hinder your use of the site – you don’t need the paid features to use the site.
- Free – Free users can look at profiles and photos and contact other members.
- A-list – $US19.95 for one month; $US14.95 per month for three months; $US9.95 per month for six months. A-list members can access the site ad-free, get additional match search options and photo album options, filter out messages by length, specific words or attractiveness, get message read receipts and see the full list of people who like them.
- Premium A-list – all the features of A-list, plus one free automatic boost per day during prime time. You can also see everyone’s public answers to their questions before you answer, and your messages will always appear at the top of your mutual matches’ conversations page. It costs $US34.90 for one month; $US29.90 per month for three months; $US24.90 per month for six months.
- Incognito mode – this makes your profile invisible to everyone on the site unless you ‘like’ or message them, and gives you ad-free access. You can turn it on or off as you please.
- Profile Boosts – these give you a day’s worth of views in just a few minutes. You can buy boosts individually, or in discounted multi-packs. They cost $US1.99 each, five for $US0.89 each or 10 for $US1.69 each.
You can’t see the membership costs until you’ve joined OkCupid (and answered many questions), which is frustrating. The prices are also in US dollars, and you can pay using PayPal. OkCupid can’t refund purchases made via the iPhone app.
RSVP Prices & Fees
RSVP Premium+ SubscriptionBest Membership Option
See Who Viewed Your Profile
Top of Search, Match and Discover Results
An Ad Free Mobile Experience
Control Who Sees Your Profile
Extra Profile Privacy Option
Priority Customer Support
4 Stamps Per Month
Other RSVP Pricing Options
If you sign up for free, you can create and view full profiles, set a criteria for your matches, with new results daily and you have the ability to send and accept virtual winks, which are expressions of interest. The other party initiate a conversation with you at no cost to you.
So Should I Try RSVP?
The site has recently modified its Matching algorithm to give members better quality matches. RSVP also has a cool Discover engine that sends you people they recommend, they might not fit all your original seeking criteria, but this system has seen unlimited success.
The membership fees keep people focussed on the task at hand, which is finding love. You are more likely to find serious contenders on RSVP than other websites. Despite a few disgruntled reviews online from people that have struck out, we believe RSVP is the best option for those over 30 looking to find a meaningful relationship.